Applying for the (CSEP) Examination
To qualify as a candidate for the CSEP exam, one must have a minimum of three (3) years of full-time professional employment in the special events industry. Documentation of work experience is required.
Exam Application and Registration Fee and Payment Methods
Exam Application and Registration Fee
Candidates are eligible to sit for the CSEP exam after application approval (see dates and deadlines below for details).
Payment will be required following the completion of the online application. The $600 exam application and registration fee can be paid online via credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express) or by mail via money order, cashier’s check or personal check made payable to the International Special Events Society (ISES).
Online Exam Application and Registration Steps
To ensure an application is accepted for review, please adhere to the following guidelines:
1. Obtain documentation of eligible special events industry work experience
Acceptable verification of special events industry experience
Acceptable forms of documentation can include but are not limited to: statement of employment verification from personnel or human resources official, copy of W2 forms (USA applicants only). Supporting documentation must be submitted in English. If these documents are in a language other than English, the candidate is responsible for having the documents translated into English and notarized.
2. Begin the application submission process by clicking on the “Apply for the CSEP” button on the upper right area of the web page.
3. Complete the online official CSEP exam application and upload, fax, email, or mail acceptable industry experience verification.
4. Proceed to the online exam application and registration payment section. Once candidate contact information is acquired, several payment options will be available to the candidate.
5. Completed application, supporting documentation and payment must be received prior to the published exam application and registration deadline. Late or incomplete applications will be processed during the next application review cycle (see current dates and deadlines below for details)
Candidates who complete exam registration payment via the online portal will receive an immediate email receipt confirming their approved payment.
Candidates who complete exam registration and payment by mail via money order or check should anticipate processing time.
Paying by Check?
Click the "Pay by Check" button and follow the instructions below.
Complete, print, and send the application with payment to ISES Headquarters. Payment must arrive to ISES Headquarters on or before the published Exam Application and Exam Fee Due Date (see below for dates and deadlines).
Make check payable to: ISES.
401 N. Michigan Ave. Suite 2200
Chicago, IL 60611-4267
6. Candidate’s exam application and proof of documentation will be reviewed for exam eligibility after the published exam application and registration deadline. Candidates will be notified of their application status via email.
7. Approved candidates are responsible for scheduling their exam at their chosen testing location.(Please see Taking the Exam tab for exam procedure instructions)
Denial of Eligibility
Based on the information provided in the application, an individual may have insufficient special events industry experience to be eligible for the CSEP exam.
An application may be denied if it is incomplete, illegible, does not reflect special events industry experience, if information is misrepresented, or if supporting documentation is not included or not in English.
Refund for Denied Exam Application
$500 USD will be refunded from the $600 USD exam fee if an application does not comply with exam requirements.
CSEP Exam Eligibility Period
The exam window is 15 days in length and is offered four (4) times annually.
Once exam application is approved and SMT will send the applicant login information. Applicants can choose to sit for the exam on a day from the 15th-30th in January, April, July and October. Applicants should choose an examination period that best fits their schedule. Exams can be rescheduled at any time for a later exam cycle as long as the exam is cancelled (5) days prior scheduled date. There is no expiration date for exam candidates; however, we strongly recommend candidates sit for the exam within one (1) year of successful exam application, as content of the exam is continually updated to reflect current industry best-practices. Examinees will be subject to program terms and fees at the time of exam registration.
Dates and Deadlines
Exam Application and Exam Fee Due Date
All candidates will recieve application results after the exam application and exam fee due date. Candidates are responsible for adhering to all deadlines. Do not rely on any source other than ISES for CSEP program details.