Taking the CSEP Examination
Registering for the Exam
To receive the CSEP designation, candidates must first complete the CSEP Application Process. The candidate will receive email notification regarding the status of their application (see Applying for the Exam tab). It is the responsibility of the candidate to meet all scheduled deadlines associated with the program.
SMT Online Examination Registration Steps
Once the exam application is approved, candidates will receive a confirmation from Schroeder Measurement Technologies (SMT), after the exam application registration deadline, including log-in information and how to register for the exam on SMT’s online examination scheduling system. This step must be completed at least five (5) days prior to scheduled exam. All SMT computer-based testing (CBT) is conducted through their sister company, Iso-Quality Testing (IQT). You will be redirected to the IQT website.
- Using Internet Explorer, navigate to ISO Quality Testing Website
- Select “Take a test and then Register for an Exam.”
- Enter your user ID and password sent to you via email from SMT (Click "Login-in") Note: You will not be able to proceed past this step with out a login and password from SMT.
- Select “International Special Events Society” as the organization from the dropdown.
- Select “CSEP” as the exam. (Click “Next”)
- Verify your personal information or update it if necessary. Include an e-mail address as the system will send an automatic confirmation once you have scheduled. (Click “Next”)
- The SMT online scheduling system will display the dates and times available within the test window for the five test centers nearest your address. Use the “Test Center” and “Exam Times” dropdowns to select your appointment. (Click “Next”)
- Once you have selected a date and time for your exam and have agreed to the SMT examination agreement security policy, you will have an opportunity to view and print your exam receipt/admission ticket. You will need to bring the exam receipt/admission ticket to the testing center on the day of your exam.
- A registration confirmation is automatically sent to your e-mail address, and includes a link for your exam receipt should you need to reprint it at a later date.
Note: Exam times and locations are available on a first come first come first serve basis, so it is highly recommended to schedule an exam as soon as registration information is available for the candidate.
Schedule of Exam
The exam window is 15 days in length and is offered four (4) times annually. Applicants can sit for the exam on a day from the 15th-30th in January, April, July and October. Exams can be rescheduled at any time as long as the cancellation occurs at least (5) days prior to the scheduled exam.
Dates and Deadlines
Exam Application and Exam Fee Due Date
The exam is held at sites worldwide. Testing sites nearest a candidate can be found at any time at http://www.isoqualitytesting.com/locations.aspx. A testing facility location should not require a candidate to travel outrageous distances and/or require hotel or flight accomodations. Please contact ISES Headquarters if you cannot locate a testing center near you.
Fees Related to the CSEP Program:
TIME AND DETAILS
Exam Application and Registration Fee
Candidates are eligible to sit for the CSEP exam after application approval (see dates and deadlines for details).
Refund for Denied Exam Application
$500 USD will be refunded from the $600 USD exam fee if an application does not comply with exam requirements.
Exam Reschedule Fee
No fee is required if an exam is rescheduled at least five (5) days prior to the scheduled exam date.
Exam Cancellation Fee
Entire exam fee will be assessed if candidate cancels exam less than four (4) days prior to scheduled exam date.
Exam No Show Fee
If candidate fails to show for scheduled exam, full exam application and registration fee is forfeited.
Exam Retake Fee
If candidate is unsuccessful on initial exam, discounted exam fee is offered for retakes.
CSEP Recertification Fee
Current CSEPs are required to recertify every five (5) years on or before November 30th to maintain designation.
CSEP Recertification with Late Fee
If CSEP recertifies between December 1st and December 31st every 5th year, an additional $50 late fee is required.
Failure to Recertify Fee
To reinstate an expired CSEP designation, all exam application and registration steps must be completed.
CSEP Emeritus Fee
Due November 30th of the recertification year for eligible applicants (see Emeritus Status for details)
Refund and Cancellation Policy
The CSEP exam fee is non-refundable. Candidates may cancel and/or reschedule their exam registration in writing (via mail, fax or e-mail), if notification is received by SMT at least five (5) calendar days prior to the day of the exam. Cancellations made less than five (5) calendar days prior to the exam and no-shows on the day of the exam will result in forfeiture of the entire exam fee.
Examination Day Information
Prior to the day of the exam, candidates should identify the exact exam location, the best way to get there and where to park. Visitors are not allowed in the test center and childcare is not provided. Food and drink is not permitted in the test center.
What to Bring on Exam Day
Candidates must have the following items, or they will not be admitted into the examination room:
- The exam receipt/admission ticket from SMT confirming exam location and seating for the exam. The exam receipt indicates the location, date and time of your exam, authorized materials and identification guidelines.
- One form of photo identification with an imprint of your name, as well as your signature (i.e. driver’s license, employee ID card or passport).
If candidates fail to bring the required items with them on the scheduled exam day, they will lose their opportunity to take the exam. They will be considered absent and will forfeit the full examination fee.
Candidates may also want to have the following items:
- Wristwatch to pace your time.
- A jacket or sweater for personal comfort.
Report to the exam location promptly at the time indicated on your exam receipt/admission ticket. Candidates must be in the examination room when the proctor starts instructions. No one will be permitted to enter the examination room after the proctor instructions have begun. There are no exceptions to this rule.
Candidates who report late for the examination will lose their reservation and be considered a no-show. There are no exceptions to this rule.
The examination will be delayed or canceled only in emergencies. If severe weather or a natural disaster makes the examination location inaccessible or unsafe, the exam will be canceled. Candidates may contact Schroeder Measurement Technologies, Inc. (SMT) at +1 (800) 556-0484 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting FREE +1 (800) 556-0484 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
Check-in Procedures and Policies of the Testing Facilities
- The SMT supervisor will verify each candidate’s exam receipt/admission ticket and identification provided against the candidate roster.
- Proctors will sign each candidate in and out of the examination room by recording the time.
- Each candidate will be directed to an assigned seat in the examination room.
- No scratch paper, notes or other personal aides are allowed. SMT will provide scratch paper to use during the exam.
- To use the restroom, the candidate should notify the proctor.
- There will be no conversing with the proctors or other candidates regarding examination questions.
- If needed, a computerized calculator is available on the computer based testing (CBT) interface.
During the Exam
- The proctor will access the SMT Computer Based Testing network and launch the examination for you.
- Candidates will be required to enter a User ID to begin the exam. This is the same User ID used for scheduling the examination appointment.
- Candidates will be presented with a five-minute tutorial to become familiarized with the system. The time of the first portion of the exam begins once the candidate exits the tutorial or the five-minute tutorial ends.
- A short break will be allotted after the multiple choice portion of the exam and prior to the start of the written portion of the exam. No breaks will be permitted during either exam portion.
- The exam will stop automatically when the allotted time for each exam portion expires.
- An online examination feedback form will be available for comments or concerns regarding the candidate’s exam day experience. This is the only opportunity a candidate will be given to express these concerns. Comments provided after leaving the testing site cannot be considered in official review of the test questions.
Concerns at the Time of Examination
Candidates who believe something associated with the examination process impacted their ability to successfully complete the exam should immediately bring their concerns to the attention of the examination proctor on site. Any issue not brought to the attention of the proctor must be reported in writing to the ISES office within three (3) working days of the exam. Failure to bring an issue to the attention of ISES within three working days of the exam may result in ISES declining to take the issue into consideration.
Accommodations for Candidates with Disabilities and Other Special Considerations
ISES and SMT, comply with the provisions of the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) and with Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. ISES utilizes the guidelines put forth in the laws listed above to address similar requests by candidates outside the USA. Any individual, who has a physical or cognitive impairment or limitation that prevents him/her from taking the exam under standard testing conditions, may request special testing arrangements.
Documentation must be provided by a physician or other appropriate diagnostic authority concerning the disability or special need. Please contact ISES Headquarters for more information.
Any candidate who (gives/receives help to/from) interacts with others during the examination will be asked to leave the room. The performance of all candidates is monitored and may be analyzed to detect fraud. Any candidate involved in such behavior will forfeit all examination fees and be prohibited from taking the CSEP exam again.
All examination materials, including all questions and all forms of the examination, are copyrighted and the property of ISES. Any distribution of these materials through reproduction, or oral or written communication, is strictly prohibited and punishable by law.
The following tips may help during the examination:
- One response per question is permitted. If more than one response is recorded for a question, that question will be scored as having an incorrect response.
- Take time to complete the online tutorial before you begin the actual exam. The tutorial will show you how to navigate the system, and includes instructions for marking questions and using bookmarks.
- Relax. This will help you be more alert and reduce physical stress.
- Find the right work pace. Don’t rush or go too slowly. Find a pace that is comfortable.
- Follow the directions and work carefully.
- Read the entire question thoroughly before answering.
- Skip difficult questions, or mark them for later review and come back to them.
- If you are not sure of an answer, make an informed guess.
- Questions incorrectly answered or not responded to are counted as wrong responses.
- Whether candidate passes is based on the total number of correct responses.
Scoring of the Examination
SMT scores the multiple choice portion of the exam electronically. Current CSEPs, subject matter experts, are trained and have online tools to score the written portion of the exam. While preserving the candidate’s identity, each exam is electronically rated by three (3) trained CSEPs.
The weight of each exam item was established via a systematic procedure (cut-score study) that employed the judgment of a representative group of CSEP subject matter experts with the assistance from SMT staff.
For the CSEP examination, there is one reported pass/fail score for each portion of the exam. Candidates will not receive further information on exam scores.
Exam Result Period
Once all exams within a testing period have been rated by three (3) separate trained CSEP raters, all exam candidates will be notified simultaneously. The reporting time frame will vary based on CSEPs rater response time. All candidates are notified of exams results via email followed by a written documentation from ISES Headquarters.
Successful completion of the exam
New CSEPs will receive an official CSEP Certificate, pin and additional information concerning the rights and benefits of the CSEP and regulations concerning recertification requirements from ISES Headquarters.
Unsuccessful completion of the exam
Unsuccessful candidates receive a scaled score for both portions of the exam. Scaled scores reflect the percent of items answered correctly out of a possible 100%. (This score tells candidates how far away from passing they are.)
Retake Policy and Fees
Candidates who have not successfully passed the CSEP exam will be required to retake both the multiple choice and written portions of the exam as well as submit an exam retake fee.
Exam Retake Fee
If candidate is unsuccessful on initial exam, discounted exam fee is offered for retakes.
Exam Result Appeals
Questions or concerns about exam scores must be submitted to ISES in writing. Only the written portion is available for review and candidates with a failing score must submit a request in writing to ISES
- The candidate requesting an appeal should submit a written document explaining reasons for appeal to ISES Headquarters.
- Information will be gathered from testing facility.
- ISES Headquarters will submit the appeal to the chair of the ISES Certification Committee.
- If the Chair feels that the request merits another review, the exam will be anonomously sent to (3) three new raters. (making sure that the three members chosen had not been a grader of the exam taken by the individual submitting the appeal).
- The new results will be reported to the ISES Certification Committee chair.
- The ISES Certification Committee chair and ISES Headquarters will notify the appealer of the decision.
*Special cirmcumstances will be subject to a formal review.